Trotwood voters to decide income tax hike in May election

“One of the most important investments a community can make is investing in its infrastructure,” Pope said.

Improvements would include the installation and/or improvement of streets and pavements, curbs and gutters, pavement milling and marking, pedestrian crossings, traffic lights, road signs, management resources water, leveling, safety equipment and Americans with Disabilities Act compliant ramps.

According to Kellum, preliminary planning is underway to determine which roads would be repaired first, which includes considering the age of the road, frequency of use, grants available to support the projects and budget. global.

“We use the Pavement Condition Assessment Index which reflects the condition of the road as one of the main factors in selecting roads for resurfacing,” she said. “It takes into account smoothness versus roughness, the number of cracks, potholes, rutting and other depressions in the roads.”

To exploreTrotwood budgets for road improvements and broadband funding in 2022

If the additional tax levy is approved by voters, the city will open about 5.4 miles of highway each year.

Trotwood’s street budget for 2022 is $1.9 million. The Street’s annual budget depends on revenue collected each year, she said, and this year’s budget is 1.9% lower than 2021’s.

Kellum noted that the city regularly reviews all expenses and processes to “reduce inefficiencies and expenses” where possible.

“The city is toeing the line on spending, only allowing increases when necessary,” she said.

The city has applied for all applicable grant funding opportunities to improve roads in residential areas, Kellum said in January during a presentation of the levy proposal to city council.

“Grant funding is only available for major thoroughfares like Free Pike and Denlinger; grant funding is not available for neighborhood streets,” she said.

To exploreConstruction of Trotwood Industrial Park to begin within a month

The tax levy would apply to the earned income of those who work in the town of Trotwood, including non-residents who travel to the town for work.

“Historically, approximately 70% of the people who work at Trotwood do not reside in the community. Therefore, the remaining 30% are people who live in Trotwood,” Pope said.

Certain types of income are exempt from tax, such as military pay, reserve and National Guard pay, social security benefits, railroad retirement benefits, unemployment benefits, retirement pensions and benefits, annuities, disability benefits, alimony and child support.

Trotwood will receive an allocation of federal funds from the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), and Kellum said some, but not all, of that money could also be used for road paving.

The city will receive about $2.5 million, and a portion of that money is being allocated to expanding high-speed internet capabilities throughout the city, Kellum said.

Comments are closed.